Mountain Skills Courses
The Mountain Skills course is an ideal choice for walkers interested in transferring their walking skills to more mountainous terrain. Ideally, participants would have some basic hill walking experience and have a reasonable level of fitness. Courses are run in the higher mountain areas of the UK and Ireland.
What does the Mountain Skills course cover?Planning
– how to successfully plan a walk in the mountains in the UK or Ireland.
– what things should you consider while out walking and what can make life easier (pace, nutrition, movement skills, steep ground etc.).
Clothing and equipment
– being suitably dressed and equipped can make the difference between a great day out and a complete disaster.
– how it affects the mountains and your day out.
Navigation in the mountains
– everything from selecting a compass and using a map to navigation in poor visibility and an intro to GPS.
– how to minimise your impact on the hill, information on good practice and useful organisations.
Hazards and emergency procedures in the mountains
– how to respond to any hazards you encounter and what to do in an emergency.
A Mountain Skills course will start with an opportunity to meet the other people on the course and take part in a short planning session with the Tutor. After that you will be out in the mountains, moving away from the trails and into steeper, rockier terrain in order to learn about the differences in weather, navigation and managing risk in the mountain environment. The physical effort required on these days will be more demanding than the Hill Skills course and you can expect to be out in the mountains for between 5-6 hours. In addition, many of our Providers will run an evening session that can either be a walk into darkness or an additional teaching session on other elements of the course syllabus.
Our Mountain Skills Tutors offer courses in the high mountain regions of the UK. The course finder
facility will show the number of available courses along with cost and location.
Examples of areas that courses are run:Snowdonia - Brecon Beacons - Lake District - Mountains of Mourne - Scottish Highlands - Galloway Hills
Click to view/download.
Watch the video
back to Hill & Mountain Skills overview