Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor FAQs

1/ There are places on an upcoming Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor training course, can I book on?

If you have not received an email from Mountain Training confirming that you have been accepted on the scheme, you should not book onto a training course. For more information on how to apply to register for this award please visit this page Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor.

2/ I've been climbing for years, does all of my experience count?

Yes, although at least 10 of your multi-pitch routes at VS 4C or above should have been within the last 12 months.

3/ Why do I need to have climbed sport routes?

This came as part of a review of the Mountaineering Instructor scheme in 2009. It was felt that candidates should have a broad knowledge of all aspects of UK rock climbing, of which sport climbing is a major part.

4/ What counts as a 'group' for the group Quality Mountain Days?

Broadly speaking, any Quality Mountain Day when you were in charge of the group and making the decisions counts. Ideally this will have been in a work capacity as opposed to just being out with friends.
Days when you were out shadowing another instructor do not count because you were not ultimately in control.

5/ Is the application fee refundable?

The registration fee is refundable in line with our standard terms and conditions, unless you have submitted your DLOG for review and administration work has been undertaken.

6/ Can I apply for exemption from Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor training?

No. There is no exemption from training.

7/ How many referees do I need for my registration application? Who can I use as a referee?

You will need to include a reference from at least 1 referee. The ideal referee will be someone who is prepared to endorse the registration application, preferably a Mountaineering Instructor, Guide or training board approved provider. A long term climbing partner or suitable employer would also be considered as an appropriate referee. To request a referee go to your DLOG, click on the Referees tab and then the Request Referee button. Enter the individuals email address or candidate number and they will be sent an email asking them to provide you with a reference. Please note they must hold an award with us.

8/ How do I become a Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor if I have qualifications from outside the UK and Ireland?

We can offer direct entry without having to go through the UK’s Mountain Leader scheme for the following conditions:
  • Direct entry for UIMLA members as the International Mountain Leader qualification is clearly beyond Mountain Leader standard.
  • Direct entry for individuals whose qualification is accredited by the UIAA for summer walking, for example the Spanish "guia de montanya”.
Check whether your walking leadership qualification(s) are accredited by the UIAA here:

If they are, you can apply for exemption from the Mountain Leader aspect of the Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor scheme by contacting the office at You will also need to send proof of certificates and supporting documents such as a disclosure from your national association to confirm that there are no convictions pending. Our technical officers for Mountain Training UK & Ireland will then review these documents and inform the customer service team whether they are happy that the qualification(s) from a different country is acceptable to our standards.

If they are not, you should register for the Mountain Leader scheme and apply for exemption from training. If this exemption is successful you can then proceed directly to a Mountain Leader assessment. If it is not successful you will need to attend a Mountain Leader training course first. Once you’ve completed your UK or Ireland Mountain Leader assessment you can then register for the Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor scheme.

You are about to be redirected to the Candidate Management System (CMS)

Create an account to register for one of our schemes.

Log in to your existing account Learn more about CMS