We've tried to answer all our most frequently asked questions on this page. if your answer is not here, then please contact us with your question and we'll do our best to answer!

Where can I find an AMI member?
You can use the search for an instructor facility on this site to find an instructor in either your own area or the area that you intend to visit. Instructors can be found across the whole of the UK and most will be prepared to travel if you have a specific location in mind.

What price should I expect to pay for a day?
The AMI sets out a recommended daily rate for its members to charge in a number of different circumstances. This rate will only normally include your instructor's time and so you should ask if specialist equipment can be hired from the instructor or locally.
Depending on the nature of the course or activity you can expect to pay between £150 and £250 per day for the services of a Mountaineering Instructor in both summer and winter conditions. Ratios are generally 1:2 for rock climbing, winter climbing and scrambling but they do vary.
Fees for larger group activity days are likely to be more and these can range from £25 to £40 per person per day. Ratios for these days are up to the instructor.
If you wish to employ a Mountaineering Instructor as a technical advisor then expect to pay between £200 and £300 a day plus expenses.

Do AMI members work all year round?
The majority of instructors will work all year round. Courses and instruction will be tailored to meet the conditions of the season. Those members who hold the Winter Mountaineering and Climbing qualification will be able to offer instruction on snow and ice in the winter months from basic winter skills through to ice climbing.

How do I book a course/instruction?
Use the search for an instructor facility on this site and then make contact with them directly. Each instructor will have their own booking procedure, some may take bookings online, most will require a deposit in advance - and all instructors will ask you to complete a booking form.

Do I need insurance?
We strongly recommend that you take out your own insurance to cover you for personal accident, injury or loss and course cancellation costs. We recommend the BMC at www.thebmc.co.uk

How do I know that a Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor is safe?
Ask to see the logo on the membership card. AMI members hold the highest level of instructional qualification in the UK and continued membership is subject to strict requirements of currency and rulings of a Professional Standards Committee.

AMI Members have been trained and assessed to a very high level to provide you with a safe and enjoyable learning experience on the crags and mountains. Part of that experience is the acceptance on your part that climbing and mountaineering are inherently dangerous activities with a risk of serious injury or death. AMI members will help you to understand and to reduce these risks but can never completely eliminate them - and they will do their utmost to match your aspirations and abilities with the conditions, using their wealth of experience.

You are about to be redirected to the Candidate Management System (CMS)

Create an account to register for one of our schemes.

Log in to your existing account Learn more about CMS