International Mountain Leader Award
This award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to lead parties in mountainous areas, including snow-covered Nordic type terrain of the “middle” mountains but excluding via ferrata, glaciers and terrain requiring alpine techniques.
The International Mmountain Leader builds on the Mountain Leader Award
, which candidates must hold. To operate professionally outside the UK, IML-holders must be a member of an association such as British Association of International Mountain Leaders (BAIML)
Download the Award Information here
International Mountain Leader Award Handbook
International Mountain Leader Award Registration
All candidates must first register and satisfy the following conditions. Applicants must:
As a minimum, the following information MUST be logged as individual entries in DLOG:
- have successfully completed the Mountain Leader Award
- completed 20 quality international summer mountain days
- gained 20 quality winter days experience in the UK or overseas
- Your 20 quality international summer mountain days.
- Your 20 quality winter days in the UK or overseas.
- There should also be a reference in the Referee tab of your DLOG.
International Mountain Leader Award Video
International Mountain Leader Award Related Course MaterialsLearning Resources are available to buy here
International Mountain Leader Award Information
The International Mountain Leader Award (IML) provides comprehensive training and assessment for individuals who aspire to work as leaders in Europe and further afield. It integrates training, experience and assessment in a variety of realistic situations.
The Award provides training and assessment in the skills required for leading and educating groups worldwide in summer conditions and also on easy snow covered, rolling, Nordic type terrain in the “middle mountains” in winter conditions. The scheme does not involve the techniques and equipment of alpinism or glacial travel.
Accredited Prior Learning
In exceptional cases Mountain Training will accept applications for exemption from elements of training from candidates who have attended appropriate courses and gained sufficient relevant experience - to be approved on a case-by-case basis. These are as follows:
1. Exemption from pre-requisite of Mountain Leader Award
2. Exemption from Winter International Mountain Leader Training
- UIAA-accredited summer walking qualification
- IFMGA summer pass
More International Mountain Leader Award Information...
- Winter Mountain Leader/Mountaineering Instructor Certificate/IFMGA winter pass + 5 days’ snowshoe experience + Alpine snowpack training
- UIAA-accredited Winter walking and snowshoeing qualification