Join the association today and start taking advantage of a whole host of great membership benefits and opportunities straight away!
Once you have registered for an award you can join the Mountain Training Association as a Trainee member
and once you have passed an assessment and hold a Mountain Training qualification your status automatically changes to a Full member
You can join at any stage in your outdoor career, but the sooner you join the quicker you can take advantage of all of the great benefits on offer. Update, refresh and broaden your skills by attending one of our many UK-wide accredited CPD workshops, find walking and climbing partners, gain access to a whole host of special deals, discounts and association publications and keep up to date with the latest developments regarding qualifications, insurance and the industry as a whole. Check out our full range of benefits below:
Benefits available to trainee members
- Quarterly magazine – the Professional Mountaineer is the only magazine created by active professionals for people with qualifications. It’s written by members from all four associations (MTA, AMI, BAIML, BMG) and is an excellent way of sharing members’ knowledge and expertise with articles about destinations, technical skills, our planet, guidance and business sense as well as book and gear reviews. View sample articles here.
- Access to a UK-wide workshop programme- attend skill-building workshops across the UK to prepare you for training and/or assessment. Choose from a diverse programme of workshops, conferences and regional events planned throughout the year, providing opportunities to update, refresh and broaden skills and knowledge, encouraging good practice and supporting members in being professional in their approach. Trainee members are not required to collect CPD points but have access to all CPD workshops upon joining the association and can record attendance at workshops/CPD events online.
“It’s a great way to gain some first class knowledge and inspiration in a short space of time. I take my hat off to the people who go to the effort of organising such events and giving others access to their wealth of knowledge, experience and enthusiasm.” - Richard Westlake
- Access to regional groups across the UK- further informal training, networking and volunteering opportunities. Get together with people from your region to share skills or attend an event in a different region if you’re away from home.
- Gear deals & discounts- a broad selection of discounts with outdoor manufacturers, suppliers and first aid providers. Big names such as Cotswold Outdoor, Sherpa Adventure Gear, Berghaus, Joe Brown Shops, Viewranger, Trekmates and Terra Nova all support the association by offering discounts for members. MTA gear deals are ALWAYS A MINIMUM OF 15% OFF with some offerings at a FANTASTIC 25-30% off! So whether it’s t-shirts, tents or trainers you need, paying full price is a thing of the past.
- Online resources and guidance- a constantly growing hub of resources; articles, interviews, teaching aids and latest job opportunities to help you through your outdoor qualifications and beyond.
- Monthly e-newsletter- keeping you up to date on upcoming CPD workshops, industry updates and current outdoor affairs.
- Exclusive member-only Facebook Group - MTA member-led group used by members to network, find activity partners, promote CPD workshops, and generally support each other during and after gaining qualifications.
- Technical support via a dedicated email address. Got a question about a technical aspect of leadership? Members have access to advice from Mountain Training’s technical staff team through a ‘Technical Question’ email service.
Additional benefits available to full members
Find out what MTA means to some of our members by clicking here
- Discounted insurance- specially negotiated rates for civil liability insurance.
“It's great to be part of a community. And on a practical level, it's good to get discounted freelance insurance.” Cat Trembilco
- Access to accredited CPD workshops- a wide selection of accredited continued personal development (CPD) opportunities to enhance your CV, refresh your skills and collect CPD points. Choose from a diverse programme of workshops, conferences and regional events planned throughout the year, providing opportunities to update, refresh and broaden skills and knowledge, encouraging good practice and supporting members in being professional in their approach. This programme supports the associations' CPD policy for full members and provides development opportunities for all members.
- Online CPD record- the facility to record your Continued Personal Development and your CPD points online.
- Additional gear deals & discounts- including a fantastic discount from Montane.
- Advertise yourself on our website to gain work via the Find a Leader facility.
- Website plug-ins to show your Mountain Training profile and qualifications.
- Use of the MTA logo to promote yourself and your business. Access the logo here.
- Access to exclusive MTA branded merchandise to wear out on the hill/crag with groups. Wear your MTA badge, buff and Sherpa jacket with pride.